My daddy. Would have been 80 today. He's been enjoying the Last Great Adventure since 2000.
What I miss:
- His soulful letters in my mailbox.
- He tucking a $50 bill in those letters. Sometimes.
- His construction of the tree house out back, and the swimming pool, and the cabin in Putnam.
- The tickle of his beard when he kissed you.
- His crackup comments. To my Mom, when the electric candle she placed in the window was our only Christmas decoration: "The carolers are outside, gathering around the bulb."
- Him waiting at the window of Albany Airport until my plane rolled away.
- He leaving me steak and near-beers and stoking the cabin's wood stove for me when I was out deer hunting and he was racing the dark back home to his chair and his book.
- His sticking with me when I insisted near beers would be best for him.
- Him saying "Panther piss," after sampling one.
- Laughs like the one he just gave me.